Thursday, December 14, 2006

Thursday Thirteen Number 6


Thirteen Random CDs pulled from my cabinetNumber #6

These were 13 cds that I just pulled randomly from my cd cabinet. You won't find Dylan, Springsteen, Wilco or some of my other favoriters listed here, as they are in another cabinet holding cds.

1. Drivin n Cryin: The Essential Live - This is a great southern rock band that never got much notice. The lead singer, Kevin Kinney, has went on to make some great solo records. Their song "Straight To Hell" is a great southern song.
2. Jesse Malin: The Fine Art of Self Destruction - The former lead singer of the punk band D Generation went on to record a solo album that was nothing like his former stuff. The cd was produced by Ryan Adams and falls in the singer/songerwriter genre, more similar to Neil Young and such. One of my favorite cds when it first came out.
3. Dave Alvin: Blue Blvd - The lead guitarist of the Blasters. The Blasters were fronted by brothers Phil who sang and Dave who played guitar and wrote most of the material. Like a lot of brothers who play in bands they had more than their fair share of fights, which eventually lead to them breaking up. Phil went back to school and majored in math, Dave went on to have a solo career. Dave's sound is what would best described as Americana. This cd has no bad songs on it. "Andersonville" is about the prison during the Civil War.
4. Cheap Trick: at Budokan, the complete concert - In the late seventies Cheap Trick put out their live at Budokan album and became stars. Twenty Years later they released the entire concert on cd. Cheap Trick was one of my favorite bands for years. I saw them when they were just getting out there, as an opening act. Later I saw them headlining and finally I saw them when they were back to just an opening act for Stone Temple Pilots.
5. Kelly Willis: Kelly Willis - A country singer, that borders on americana. This is her first album and not my favorite of hers, but still good nonetheless. She is a great singer.
6. The White Stripes: The White Stripes - Power duo. This is their first album. I actually was a fan of them before they became famous. I love their sound.
7. Robbie Fulks: SouthMouth - Another americana singer. Or a country singer if you want, the line is fine between the two in a lot of regards. Robbie has never been a big name, but he has talent to burn. On this cd is one of the most stinging indictments of the Nashville music business and town.
8. Eileen Rose: Shine Like It Does - I really don't know a lot about this singer. I have another cd by her. Both of them I bought when I was in England years ago. I don't think she is English, but she is more popular over there than here in the United States. A reviewer called her a cross between Marianne Faithful and Patti Smith. She is very good.
9. Patti Smith: Horses - I really did pick these cds at random. After the last comment about Eileen Rose and than following it with Patti Smith, it might seem like I didn't. Patti Smith is one of the founders of punk music. She is awesome. This is one of the best cds ever. I love her version of Gloria. All of the cd is great.
10. Dolly Parton: Essential Volumen One - This woman can sing. My favorite stuff by her is her more recent bluegrass cds, but this one contains a lot of the hits that made her famous.
11. Howlin' Wolf: Moaning In The Moonlight - this is actually a twofer, it has his self named cd and Moaning on it. If you like blues you have to like the Wolf. This man can sing the blues.
12. Nanci Griffith: Other Voices, Too - a sequel to a cd with the same name that came out a few years before this one. One both cds she does cover songs with other singers. This is one of my favorite cds. I love Desperadoes Waiting On A Train. This version has Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Earle, Rodney Crowell, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Eric Taylor and Richard Tompson on it. Now that's an all star line up.
13. Anti-Flag: For Blood and Empire - Punk Metal I guess. I'm not sure what genre it fits in, but it's loud and fast and very political. I love it.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



12 comments:

Barb said...

Quite a variety there! I was beginning to think you'd forgotten this today!

Mike said...

I saw Cheap Trick in concert once. I think I have the Patty Smith one but on vinyl. The others are pretty cool.

John Holland said...

You know it's bad when you're at work and you think you have to get home in time to post your thursday thirteens. It's just this time of year is so hectic for me at work.

Anais Nin said...

Wow! You really have diverse taste in music! How cool!

Shelby said...

you've quite a variety of music there - from Dolly to Cheap Trick! I do like Dolly's latest stuff.

Michelle said...

Wow - great list. I haven't even heard of a few of those people.

Gotta love Cheap Trick!

Happy TT!

Mimi said...

I saw Cheap Trick in concert, but I can't for the life of me remember who I saw them with. Good stuff :)

K said...

I'm not familiar with most of those. I do enjoy several of Dolly Parton's songs though. A great list! Thanks for stopping by!

Caylynn said...

Quite an eclectic mix of music! Nice commentary on each of the CDs.

Thanks for stopping by and have a good day. :)

Kris said...

I love the White Stripes--have you seen them live? It's amazing how loud those two are! :)

John Holland said...

Yes I have seen the White Stripes live and you are right, they are very loud for just two of them. They put on a great show, I was very impressed.

Amy said...

Diverse! That's the word I was looking for. I've only heard 1, 4, and 10. Maybe I'll have to listen to some of the others.

Happy T13!


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/