Sunday, December 17, 2006

SPOTLIGHT ON: Shannon McNally



Discography:
Boulder Than Paradise (EP)
JukeBox Sparrows
Ran On Pure Lightning (w/ Neal Casal)
Run For Cover
Geronimo
Southside Sessions (w/ Charlie Sexton)
North American Ghost Music

Shannon is a native New Yorker that has moved to New Orleans and made it her home. Shannon's style is a mixture of blues, rock, country, folk and that unquieness of New Orlean's music all rolled into one. Her voice is not your typical "pretty girl" voice, it is a voice all her own. She is not one to follow trends. Her musical influences would be people like Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen...people that did music on their own terms.

Her songs are stories about life and love. She calls her music North American Ghost Music and it as fitting a name as any I could come up with.

I was introduced to her music last year by my friend Larry. Larry is the New Orleans music expert. As much as I think I know about the music of the cresecent city I am a pygmy in my knowledge of the music scene of New Orleans compared to him. Larry told me about her.

Last year she was my favortie new singer. Maybe not new to the business, but new to me. She still ranks as one of my favorite performers. I've seen her live at least half a dozen times now and every show is great. She doesn't put on a bad show. It's a joy to watch her at the Louisiana Music Factory and be only a few feet from her as she sings and plays.

I can't even think of anyone that I could compare her to. Her vocal style is slightly similar to Lori McKenna, another singer that is not very well known. If you're a fan of Bruce Springsteen I think you'd like her. She sings from the heart and soul.

So many of her songs have become favorites of mine, but I really like one of her first, Jukebox Sparrows from the cd of the same name. It's almost not a song, more like a spoken monologue with music, but still very good.

Her new cd will be out at the start of next year. It was produced by legendary Memphis producer Jim Dickinson. She's been opening for Son Volt on tour and has even did some singing with Jay Farrar on the new Son Volt cd.

I don't know who else I'll do these spotlights on, but I can tell you now, that of everyone I spotlight I would urge you to take a chance on her music, she is that good.

No comments:


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/