Saturday, September 15, 2007

Voices to Hear


Over at TopBlogMag I write a weekly column (when I don't miss a week like I did last week, but truthfully I'm pretty good at hitting my deadlines) about musical acts that I think need a wider exposure. People that I don't think enough people have listened to. A lot of the names I've written about will be familiar to anyone that reads this blog for any length of time. They're a lot of the same names that I talk about here (including this Month's featured Artist). It's just my way of trying to get people to hear some voices that deserve to be heard. In today's media driven hit single video world it can hard for some talents to get the recognition they need, all the big bucks are tired up in the big names and very little trickles down to help the lesser known. I'm not slamming the big names, I'm as a big fan of people like Bruce Springsteen and Wilco and Faith Hill, as anyone. There is nothing wrong with being a big name. There's a local zine published locally that spotlights the up and coming, but it does so at the expense of the bigger names. They treat anyone that has made it like they're a sellout or terrible. That's not what I think. I'm glad to see true talent make it. I hold a backseat in my admiration and like to no one for Bruce Springsteen, so that's not what this is about at all. In fact I can't read this zine any longer, I just get tired of the cheap shots. I want to highlight the positive in this column. Write about people that I think you will enjoy. So far I have written about:
1. Will Hoge
2. Shannon McNally
3. Theresa Anderson
4. Amanda Shaw
5. Maggie Brown
6. Aljendano Escovedo
7. Susan Cowsill
8. Patty Griffin
9. Lily Holbrook
10. Mary Wiess
11. Marah
12. Buddy Miller
13. Ani Difranco
14. Blind Boys of Alabama
15. Kelly Willis
16. Lori McKenna
17. Alex Ray Joel
18. Carrie Rodriquez

Check out some of these names, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. And check out my newest column this Monday and see who I'll be talking about than.

1 comment:

Travis Cody said...

I'm with you here. I don't know why there's this reverse snobbery against musicians that have a wide fanbase and are making money with their music. I've never thought of that as selling out...rather it's reaching as many people as you can with your art.

Thanks for bringing some of these acts to my attention. I might have missed them otherwise.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/