Friday, July 22, 2005

Has the whole world gone crazy?

I know, I know.  A stuipd question.   But I just saw there were bombings in Egypt now.  More in London the other day.  We have leaders in our government giving out the names of our spies due to politics.  I saw a tape of a Senator (I don't remember which one, just that that she was a she) saying she didn't care about the civil rights of so called terrorists.  Aren't we supposed to be the good guys?  Aren't we supposed to care about things like this?  I thought being the good guys meant that we didn't stoop to the same level of the bad guys.  They're about to make the patriotic act long lasting now, a law that lets our government spy on us if they just think we might be doing something wrong.  That lets our government treat us like criminals if we check out the wrong book from the library. 
 
I don't know, I guess I thought our country stood for certain things, certain principles.  Nowdays it seems all our governments cares about is if you're Republican or Democract, if you're one than you're against the other no matter what. 
 
You know, back after Sept 11 when the President of the United States said he wanted bin Laden dead or alive, even than, when it was a lot easier to agree after just living through those days of terror and dread and horror, even than, I thought that was wrong.  Yes, we are pretty postive that bin Laden was responsible for the acts on Sept 11, we can even be postive that he was, but don't we have laws that say everyone is supposed to get their day in court.  Yes, I want bin Laden caught and punished.  But I would like it done the right way.  When the President says we want him dead or alive all we're doing is telling anyone who can get within shooting distance of him is to shoot him and bring his head back. 
 
I guess when I was a kid I actually believed in the super hero comic books I read.  Captain America, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Superman, Batman, all those characters fought evil, but they had a code.  They wouldn't kill, they wouldn't act like the bad guy in order to defeat the bad guy.  Nowdays in comic books it's sometimes hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys.  I'm not saying it makes for bad stories now, but I miss those old heroes who knew what being a good guy meant.
 
Sometimes it gets to me.  I still believe this is the greatest country in the world.  I believe in the words written over two hundred years ago.  I belive in the freedoms that so many died fighting for.  I just hate to see it mean so little now days.

1 comment:

Ari said...

Interesting, I still believe in freedom, and I know where you were coming from about comic books. But i believe my genearation at age 31, is getting the ideafinally of what freedom is.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/