Friday, July 01, 2005

The Greatest Rock Band in the World: U2

Ok, I got this from Laura Lee's site.  She mentioned a few posts back about a conversation she had with some friends about who were among the greatest rock bands in the world.   I threw in my two cents worth, but I was not really thinking about it too much at the time.  I can't get the idea out of my head.  Who is the greatest rock and roll band?
 
What I'd like to do is over the next month or however long it takes is just to post some of my takes on who I think are among the greatest rock bands.  And anyone reading this that wants to argue my points or suggest their own, go for it.  I'm interested to see who other people think are some of the greatest. 
 
Now before we even get started I'll save all the arguing and of course list the Beatles.  I don't think there is any argument on that one.  After that it's all up for grabs.  
 
This post I recommend U2.
 
What other band in the last twenty years has mattered as much?  I contend that they have put out two classic albums....The Joshua Tree and Achtung, Baby!  I almost want to put All That You Can't Leave Behind in with those two, but I'm not sure yet.  It's a great album, the more I listen to it the more I like it.  Their newest is too new yet, it's got some good stuff on it, but I don't know it it'll make the ranking of classic. 
 
Also I come from the school that music can change the world and U2 is one of those groups that still believe that.  All music doesn't have to be trying to change the world, I think the Ramones deserve to be in this list and will in another post, but I am moved by a group that can try and change the world and still rock out.  I'm sorry, I guess I'm just an old lost hippie at heart. 
 
I just don't see how anyone can make a list of the greatest bands in the world and not include U2.
 

Is it getting better
Or do you feel the same
Will it make it easier on you now
You got someone to blame
You say...

One love
One life
When it's one need
In the night
One love
We get to share it
Leaves you baby if you
Don't care for it

Did I disappoint you
Or leave a bad taste in your mouth
You act like you never had love
And you want me to go without
Well it's...

Too late
Tonight
To drag the past out into the light
We're one, but we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other
One...

Have you come here for forgiveness
Have you come to raise the dead
Have you come here to play Jesus
To the lepers in your head

Did I ask too much
More than a lot
You gave me nothing
Now it's all I got
We're one
But we're not the same
Well we
Hurt each other
Then we do it again
You say
Love is a temple
Love a higher law
Love is a temple
Love the higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt

One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should
One life
With each other
Sisters
Brothers
One life
But we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other

One...life

One

1 comment:

Laura Lee said...

Thanks for the props brutha! This conversation has sparked lil McLoughlin Groups all over the blogworld as well as with anyone Ive surveyed on the topic. Its a topic that could go on forever and ever depending on your preference and what factors you want to include.

You are not alone in naming U2. Seems they are a popular answer. Not MY answer, haha, but you saw my answers, they were all very similar. Maybe I should have mixed it up more. But I have a hard time with change. ;) (hence my answers!)

Tell me this...why does everyone sweat the Ramones so hard? Please, would you or any of the other people on my blog that named the Ramones please elaborate? I would like at LEAST 5 reasons why you would mention them so high up on "the list"...if you dont mind of course. :)

Until then...we'll all just keep mulling over thebig question!


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/