Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Year of my Dad


This is one of my favorite pictures of me and my Dad. It was taken from the Christmas before last. It was his last Christmas and the last real time I got to spend with him before he went in the hospital. It wasn't long after Christmas that he fell and broke his shoulder and ended up in the hospital and never came home. This was a good Christmas. My brother and niece and nephew all were there, so we all were together. My Dad was feeling pretty good, he wasn't jumping through any hoops but he was getting around and was pretty much his old self.
It's strange how thoughts of my Dad can come on me at the oddest times. I can be thinking of something that has no connection to him and suddenly my mind will flash on him. Many times I'll think of what he would say about something. I just bought one of those digital picture frames and I was thinking how much he would like it. My Dad always liked the newest gadgets.
It's still hard for me to write about him. You think missing someone would get easier with time, but it doesn't. You just find a way to move on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

John...

I don't know if it ever gets easier...just different...
Everyone deals with loss differently, and there's no specific amount of time that dictates "getting over it."
I had a conversation with a co-worker yesterday because another person we work with has been increasingly more depressed after having lost 3 very significant people in her life this past year...She's strugggled even more because for some reason, some of the people in her life tell her, "it's bee 4 months, it's time to move on." That's absurd. I imagine the first year without him will continue to be tough...it's all those "firsts" that keep emotions so close to to the surface...The first Christmas, first birthday, first Father's Day, first summer BBQ...
I do hope when those moments jump into the forefront because your Dad isn't there...that they're coupled with heartfelt memories of when he was that make you smile...and laugh...
Hang in...

John Holland said...

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

oh...forgot...
Nice slippers!!! :-D

John Holland said...

I was wondering if anyone would notice them. I really wanted a pair of Kermit the Frog slippers but couldn't find any in my size, so I settled for the Taz. :)


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/