Monday, January 28, 2008

Rejoicing In The Streets - It's Working!

I have finally figured out how to convert my vinyl albums to the computer. I purchased one of those turntables with the USB hookup that allows me to download my vinyl albums onto my computer and than make cds of them. But I have been having the hardest time getting it to work.

Part of the problem was that I bought the turntable right before my Dad got sick and died. It was sitting on my table when I left for Tennessee and was there waiting for me when I got back. I put it in my closet and didn't want to fool with it for the longest time. I know it had nothing to do with my Dad's death, but it's purchase was too close to the issue.

I finally pulled it out the other night and was determined to get it to work. I was able to record music, but somehow it didn't seem to be going where I wanted it to. I went to their web site and decided to see if there were any new updates I needed to download. When I bought this turntable it was before VISTA system was out, so when I went to their download page and saw that there was a Vista download I went for it. It downloaded a program entitled EZ Vinyl Converter. And guess what? It worked!

It made converting that vinyl album into my computer so easy. And it actually downloads the music into ITunes, which is where I wanted it to end up in the first place. This way I can than download the music into the IPod. I'm not sure what the Audicity program, which is what comes with the turntable has to do with anything now, since the EZ Vinyl Converter seems to do all the work. Well, I guess I really don't care, as long as it works.

So today before work I started downloading some albums. Now this is going to be a very time consuming process, since it's not like doing a cd which you can download pretty quick. With an album you have to just let it play out. And you have to be there to push the new track button everytime a track ends and a new one starts, so the computer knows it's a new song.

I'm starting with some of my obscure records. The first one I downloaded was John Thomas Griffith's "Son of An Engineer." Griffith is the lead guitarist for the group Cowboy Mouth now, but once he was a singer out on his own. And before that he was the lead singer of a group called the Red Rockers. I saw him perform solo and acoustic at the Audbourn Zoo opening for Bob Dylan years ago.

The next record I put into the computer was an old Bob Seger album, back before he signed with Capitol Records. "Back In '72" is a record that I searched for a long time and ended up buying a used copy years ago. When I went to get this picture of it from Amazon.com the price for the vinyl album was $75.00.

So I figure I'm going to be spending some time over the next month or so loading some albums into the computer. I'll make mention of some of the albums that I feel like deserve mentioning or maybe just so odd that they need to be talked about in future posts.

2 comments:

Travis Cody said...

That's great! I've been doing about 10 cassettes every weekend. It's slow going, but it's also enjoyable because I'm listening to so much music I haven't heard in awhile.

I'm still nervous about the condition of my albums and 45s. I'm worried about warping and scratches.

John Holland said...

So far the albums I've picked have been in pretty decent shape. I've had a few that had some scratches and so, but managed to get a fairly decent recording of them. My biggest problem is not getting so caught up in listening that I forget to hit the button for new tracks inbetween the tracks.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/