Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Another Season of American Idol



American Idol starts next week. With the almost no existence of new tv shows on now due to the networks and producers failing to address the writer's demands AI has clear path to even bigger rating's success. This show is a rating's monster anyway, now with almost literally nothing else to watch it should truly dominate. It's funny though, last year was the first year that the ratings for the show started to dip, I wonder what would have happened this year if it had been a normal year with established competition. Last year was also probably the worst year for talent on the show too. I've really only watched one complete season of AI and that was the year Taylor Hicks won. From what I've seen that year there was a lot of fairly talented people on the show, about 3/4's of the final 12 have recording contracts now.

If I watch AI it will only be after the final group has been selected. I've seen some of the shows where they travel to different cities looking for singers and think it's one of most mean spirited shows in existence. The show picks out some of the most awful singers to show us and make fun of. Some of these singers are just kids, or even if they're not kids, people that really think they have talent, that have probably been told that they could sing by all their friends, and than they go on this show and realize that they have no talent at all. I saw one episode where it was a girl around 15-16 and she literally fell on her knees begging them to take her after they rejected her. I don't see the appeal in this. To me it's humilating and just mean.

I would rather see some of the singers that almost made it to the show. Let us see what didn't make it but could have, so we can compare it to the ones that did make it. The first part of AI I might watch a few parts of the shows, but I just can't watch an entire episode. I'll wait till they pick the final group and than I have no problems with whatever is said about them. I figure if they make it this far they've shown some sort of talent and deserve what they get. (Though last year would lay claim against the talent part.)

Ok, I'll get off my soap box. Every year before the show starts I seem to be singing the same tune, but I know I'm in the miniority. Most people enjoy seeing the ones with no talent getting slammed. And I think that says more about us than any other part of the show does.

2 comments:

Travis Cody said...

I read today that while the ratings were still good, they were down from last season. I didn't watch...and won't until the final 24 is selected.

And if there isn't any talent, then I won't watch any further. I certainly don't intend to vote unless someone really blows me away, like Taylor.

John Holland said...

You and I agree completely. Last season I watched a few episodes and once I saw how little talent they had I bailed.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/