Monday, May 23, 2005

Star Wars

I saw the new Star Wars movie last night.  I was suprised how small the crowd was there.  I doubt there was three dozen people there.  I know the first couple days the movie broke all the box office records, but I think that was to be expected.  Everyone was waiting on this movie.  It was the birth of Darth Vader.
 
So how did I like it?   All I can say is that it was better than the first two, but not as good as the original three.  I think the basic problem with it was the character of Anikin Skywalker.  He was just an unlikable character.  The movie was supposed to show his change from the good to the dark side.  But he was always a jerk as far as I was concered.  He was always arrogant and selfish.  There was no real tragedy when he became Darth Vader.  The auidence should have felt the pain of his tranformation to the dark side.  But it felt like he was always had one foot in the dark, so when he became Darth Vader it didn't feel tragic. 

2 comments:

Laura Lee said...

I agree completely with your comment that it was good but that it paled in comparison to the original 3. It was a good movie-- very exciting, but it wasn’t the Star Wars of the 70's and 80's.

BUT, I disagree with your comment about the lack of tragedy in the birth of LAWD VATAW! ;) Here's why...I'm a CHICK. There was love and loss involved. Have you ever loved someone who transformed before your eyes into something bad? You didn’t even know her/him anymore...someone you loved so deeply was...gone? You don’t want to believe it. It especially hurts when they strangle you. ;)

He was always insecure and arrogant and you're right, not likeable really...but I think showing his ability to love deeply made him human...so when he lost his human status and Padame lost her LIFE, it was tragic. Especially in light of the lives they left behind (who would later make out a little not knowing they were brother and sister, but thats ok).

That's just my opinion though. :) It's pretty good though for a chick dont you think? You better say yes or else you're gonna see my dark side!

John Holland said...

You're right about the love story making the story more tragic. My only problem was that I didn't believe the love story. I never could buy the two of them loving each other. (That was the problem I had with Titantic too, I never bought the love story and that was the basis of the movie....I know, I must have no heart.) Your reasoning is very good (please don't show me your dark side :)), but it would have worked better if I really could belive they were in love.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/