Monday, May 16, 2005

Star Wars Is Coming

This week is the third installement (or the sixth in reality) of the Star Wars saga.  Now I am of the age that grew up with Star Wars.  I remember going to see the first Star Wars (sorry I can't call it A New Hope) at the movie house at Oakwood Mall.  The theatre no long exsists.  It wasn't the palace type, with the stadium seats and the state of the art sound and whatever other bells and whistles the theatres have now.  But there was magic there that day when I saw Star Wars.  Now I was a geek back than (ok, ok, I'm still a geek), I had already read a ton about Star Wars and if memory serves me right, the first issue or two (maybe more) of the comic book was already out and I had read them.  I now the later movies Lucas was super secretive about letting any comic or book out before the movie, but I think they were trying to get a push for the first movie, no one knew it would explode like it did, so I'm pretty sure the book and comic were out before the movie.  But I knew what Star Wars was and I was a science fiction fan, that was most of what I read at the time.  I remember sitting in that theatre, leaving back in the chair as the words scrolled across the screen, and than that monster of a space ship.   Wow!  That one word captures it all.
 
When the second one came out me, Mark and Sal were at the theatre hours (and I mean hours) before the movie opened.  We were the first in line.  By the time the movie opened the line wrapped around the building.  
 
Those first three movies were filled with magic and awe.  I'm not saying they are the best movies ever made, there are a lot of movies I can claim to think are better and even that I like more.  But there was, and is, something special about those movies.
 
I have never seen the new editions of the three movies.  I did break down and buy the three movies when they came out on DVD, but I haven't watched them yet.  I will, but I wish Lucas had put the old versions on the DVDs too.  I loved those movies, even if they aren't as special effected as the newer versions that he reedited them as. 
 
Now by the time the next two movies came out a lot had changed.  I was a lot older.  Dare I say a little more cynical?  I saw the first movie, but after it had been out for awhile.  I wasn't that impressed.   The second movie I saw but I don't even remember when I saw it.  I don't remember seeing it at the theatres, I think I saw it on TV, the DVD or on HBO or whatever channel showed it.   But I think telling you that I can't remember where I saw it tells you a lot of what I thought of it.    I can tell you where I saw all three of the first ones.  I remember when we left after seeing Empire Yvonne and her brother were in line to see the next showing. I only mention this cause I had such a crush on Yvonne at the time.
 
But all that is prelude.   The new one is coming.  From what I've read it will bring the magic back to the series.  This is the birth of Darth Vader.  This is where everything in all five movies come together.  (If that makes sense when the first three actually take place after this one, but it does make sense.)  All the reviews have been favorable so far.  From everything I've seen or read or heard....I'm hoping...I'll be there to see it as soon as I can.

1 comment:

LiVEwiRe said...

You know, i was there for the original Star Wars movie, too. No special effects today can accomplish what I saw then... It was amazing.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/