Sunday, December 07, 2008

A Stroll Through Memory Lane

I've decided that my office needs a complete make over. The desk that this computer sits on is at least twenty years old. It's an old metal office desk, the type you don't see much anymore. On top of the desk I've added shelves that went with a wooden computer desk. I've got two big file cabinets full of papers that date back farther than I like to think about it. The room that I use as an office is cluttered and full.

I've decided that it really needs work. So I went out and bought a new computer desk. I've got plans to remake the whole room. Hopefully into something better organized and a little more open. I have a feeling this is not going to be a quick project, it's going to require a good big of work.

One of the first things I did was buy one of those hanging units for files. I just felt like the file cabinets were taking up too much space. I've been going through the file cabinets. They hold most of what I laughingly refer to as my writing life. I had one whole drawer full of files of artists that I've corresponded with. I took out all the artists that I've actually worked with and the others I threw away.

Going through these files has brought back a lot of memories. Lots of stories that never sold, lots of stories that were never finished. But than I'd come across one that was actually sold and published and it made me feel good. I've thrown away a lot of stuff that I just can't ever seeing the need for, but I have kept a lot of story ideas and old stories that I might be able to revisit or pull some ideas from.

Going through all these files and papers made me realize one thing. I once really wanted to be a writer and what's more, I really worked at it. I've come across letters from editors that had kind things to say about my work, people in the comic industry that liked what I was doing and others that remembered me from previous work. The last ten years I've pretty much blown most of those contacts, I never published enough that many people still in the industry would remember me now. But it's made me realize that this was a dream that I worked hard at and is still a dream worth working for.

Maybe all this cleaning and organizing will get me off my butt and writing again.

3 comments:

Travis Cody said...

You remind me with this that I have an office full of stuff that needs to be organized. I keep putting it off because it's going to be a ton of work.

There's so much to do that I stand in the doorway looking at the mess, and I just can't figure out where to begin.

Jessica said...

It's never too late--GO FOR IT! :)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I need some organization in my 'computer corner' a cramped space in my bedroom..but am hoping for a more open area to work in sometime in 2009.

As for the writing..as Jessica said it is never too late.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/