Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Duck The Flying Shoes



By now pretty much everyone in the world that has a television or internet connection has seen the video of the Iraqi journalist throwing his shoe at President Bush. Now anyone that has read this blog for any length of time knows how I feel about Mr. Bush. Quite simply put I am not a fan.

I consider him responsible for curtailing our freedoms in this country, diminishing the image of the United States in the eyes of the world community and worse I consider him responsible for the deaths of thousands of American soldiers and Iraqis because of a war he started due to ego or oil or whatever but definitely not for the reasons he tried to give to the citizens of this country. I truly believed he should have been impeached for his actions as President.

But watching this video I was troubled. I know in the Arab world throwing you shoe at someone is considered the ultimate insult. I am an absolute supporter of Free Speech and realize that to have Free Speech you have to be willing to defend those words you deem insulting or racist or whatever objections you might have to them, but I can't place throwing shoes in the same category of Free Speech.

It the Iraqi journalist had stood up and verbally insulted President Bush I would have no problems, but the throwing of his shoes bothers me. I know most people have made light of the whole affair and even the President joked about it. But how could someone have time to throw his shoe at the President of the United States. What if it had been a rock? Or something even worse, like a knife. As much as I detest the President I would not want to see him killed. Where was the Secret Service when this was going on?

I consider the Dixie Chicks patriotic when they said they were ashamed that the President came from the same state as they did. So what is it about this that bothers me so much?

I really can't put my finger on it, but to me the throwing of the shoes at President Bush was not just an insult at the man but an insult at the Presidency itself. Insult the man, but not the institution is I guess my thought. The whole event has become nothing more than fodder for the late night comedians and a throwaway joke in the internet and I guess I just see more into it.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Travis Cody said...

Agreed. The whole incident has bothered me for the same reasons you describe here.

We have a poor representative in the office of the President. That he has diminished the office in the eyes of the world is discouraging.

Fortunately, we are now at T minus 30 days until Mr Obama takes the oath and begins the process of restoring respect to the office.

John Holland said...

Travis,
I can't wait for Jan 20.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/