Thursday, September 22, 2005

Rumblings

Arguably two of the worst diasters on American soil occur when George W is president. Told of the terrorists attacks on 9/11 what does he do? He goes back and talks to the school kids. Than he gets in Air Force One and flies around the country, but doesn't head back to Washington. After Hurricane Katrina hits the Gulf Coast what does he do? He continues on his vacation for another two days. God forbid he miss a day of his five week vacaction while people are dying.

I'm not a big fan of Anne Rice. In fact I can't stand her writing. I've tried to read her vampire novels a couple times and can never finish them. And anyone who knows me knows that when I start reading something I like to finish it. But a few weeks back she had an editoral in the New York Times. I didn't see it, but the local news anchor read it over the air down here. And I found myself agreeing with her. I thought it was the best writing she has ever done. Her one line "My country has turned its back on my city." rang true. It hurts me to agree with it, but that's how it felt. The only problem I have with the editoral is she says "my city" but she doesn't live here anymore. She moved.

No more daily Katrina posts. Oh, I'm sure most of my posts will deal with it in some manner or another. I think Katrina will be a part of my life for a long time. But I've missed days and can't keep up with a daily posting, some days there just isn't anything to post about.

Mayor Nagin said awhile back that once the search for bodies began they were going to find a lot of bodies of people that died from the flood but they would find a good bit that died because the response from the federal government was so slow in getting in to help rescue these people. Unfortunately later when he met with the President he back stepped some of his anger. Still it's interesting to see that those in the Federal government now are trying to place more of the blame on him for not getting those people out of the city quicker.

The governor and the president seem to be in a pissing contest over who gets to say who does what. The governor wants to make it clear that the National Guard is under her power and that the army cannot make any arrests in the city. Who cares? Let them do what they have to to help.

When the city and state governments can't do it than it's time for the Federal government to step in and help. What happened?

Why didn't anyone realize that after something like this that some of the people left would be looters? Take any major city, New York, Atlanta, wherever...have some sort of major diaster and watch the looters come out. Why wasn't the 82nd Airborne moved in sooner? They're suppposed to be able to get anywhere in the world within days, yet they took over a week or more before they were in New Orleans.

Sorry this post is more mad than glad. With Rita out there threatening it's hard to be real cheerful right now. And these are just a lot of thoughts and questions that have went through my head in the past few weeks.


No comments:


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/