Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Katrina: Day Eight (Sunday)

Another late morning, I got up at eight this morning. Mornings are the best time of the day. Last night my battery much not have charged completely, the fan went off before I fell asleep. But it was not that hot so I didnt' worry too much about it. But at seven or eight in the morning there is a slight chill in the air and it feels so good. Makes you just want to lay there and not move.

Went to Sams today for more ice. It looks like the cooler will hold the ice for about two days and than I'll have to be getting more ice. I have to get twenty pounds of ice from Sams, they sell everything in bulk. That is more ice than I need so I noticed some more of my neighbors across the street are coming home so I went and gave them a bag of ice. I want more people to come home. There is safety in numbers.

On the way to Sams I stopped at the store. Darryl was there, talking on the phone to Loretta. I talked to his wife while he was on the phone. The store was boarded back up, all the people from home office had left. After Darryl got off the phone he told me that they decided not to open till Wednesday or Thursday, that most people needed food and things like that more than what we sold. He said Loretta was pretty ragged, she's been traveling to the stores and seeing all this damage and it has to be getting to her. The store in Gulfport was wiped out. The one in Harharan has been looted and has standing water.

Afterwards I went to check on my parents. Today is the last day my brother will be there. He is heading home tommorrow, they are lifting the ban at six a.m. to get into Jerffersion Parish. Yesterday my Dad collapsed, he dehadrayted himself. I'm glad my brother was there. He put him in the van and turned the air conditioner on and they gave him a lot of water and soaked him down. He still isn't feeling all that great today, but maybe it is for the best. It shows him that both him and my mother have to take it slow in this heat. They can't try and do too much too quick. Better it to have happened now when my brother was there than later. I don't know how often I'll be able to get up there with gas so hard to get hold of.

The WalMart in Picayune was open so me, my brother, mother and sister went. I wanted to get some stuff that I couldn't find at Sams. I ended up spending close to a hundred dollars. I got some more food, but I also got a rake to try and help clean my yard up and a push broom. I want to sweep the street in front of my home, just to try and make it look better. Right now every little thing that makes things look a little more normal is a help.

They also got a generator. It lasts for about eleven hours. I'm thinking of going to Sams and getting one of the smaller generators. I'm just worried about getting the gas for it. It takes about five to six gallons for twelve hours. I have two five gallon tanks if I can get them filled. I don't mind spending the money on a generator if I can keep it running, I hate to spend the money on it and than not even be able to get the gas to use it.

I've been out in the yard cleaning still. I finally got all the tree from my yard to the front. There is still a lot of pine needles and pine cones in the yard, but that's what I got the rake for. My brick patio was covered with debris from the tree. I cleaned it and it looks better than it has in awhile to be honest. I even weeded in between some of the bricks which I haven't done in too long. I figured that as I clean I just as well get things looking as good as I can.

Ok, that's it for now, more later tonight if this laptop doesn't die on me. I wasn't able to charge it last night since the battery didn't charge completely. Bewteeen charging the laptop and having a fan run, the fan wins out.

No comments:


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/