Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Katrina: Day Nine (Monday)

It's been nine days since this started. And probably a mulitple of those nine days before we get anywhere close to normalacy.

Today I slep really late, it was after eight before I got out of bed. I woke up with a headache and really did not want to do anything. I got up, washed and brushed my teeth and than tried to figure out what I wanted to do today. Since I had more bannanas than I knew what to do with I figured I'd drive over my parents and give them the ones Sams gave me. When I got there no one was home. The front door was open, the dogs were inside. They are terrible about going out and just leaving the door open. They think because they live in a small town that there is no crime. And what's worse with the hurricane there are looters everywhere.

I went in, walking through their house to see if someone was in the back or maybe out back. As I walked through I heard a motor humming. Than I realized that it was cool inside. I flicked a light swtich. The light came on. They had power! Wow, what a difference that makes.

I looked in their regrigerator and found some turkey. I made myself a sandwich. They even had mayonasie! I felt like I was in heaven. I would kill for a hamburger right now. Even the stores that are selling food at the moment are not selling any frozen stuff or meat. All that was ruined in the hurricane, so they're cleaning the racks and getting ready to get some in I hope.

I waited around for about an hour and when no one showed up I left. I came home and went to raking the yard. I raked most of the front yard, all the pine needles, pine cones, tree bark and whatever else is in the yard. At least it's starting to look somewhat normal.

There's a nice breeze blowing through right now. It's keeping the place fairly cool. But it has the feel of rain and that's something we don't need.

As I was raking I kept looking at my fence. I was thinking the front part I could fix by myself. It was not completely blown down, just leaning forward. If I could push it back, prop it up I could fill concrete around it and it should stand. It sounded like a plan so I went to Home Depot to get the concrete and wood. While there I saw Walmart was open so I decided to go there too. I needed a hoe and shovel and Home Depot's garden section wasn't open.

While in Walmart my phone rang. It hasn't been working since I talked to Heather last night. I was able to get through to Paul Stewart and leave a message that I was alive, but that was it. It was my brother. He had made it back to the Westbank ok. His house had gotten water in it. The bedrooms and part of the den were flooded. A couple inches of water he told me. He had pulled up some of the carpet. He said he was coming back to my parents tonight, the smell of the standing water was too much for him to stay in. He'd go back in the morning. I told him I'd go help him tommorrow if he was going to come back tommorrow night.

I got home and unloaded all the stuff I bought. I went over to push the fence up. It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. The fence did not want to move. I had to wedge one of the boards against it and push the board down, pushing the fence out and back towards what I hoped was more of what a fence was supposed to look like. I went to the lake and filled my bucket up with water and came back. I filled the holes with cement and than water and mixed and kept it up till I had a lot of cement around the fence posts. Hopefully it will work. If it works there are a few other sections of the fence that blew down like that. I can get them up and cemented in place and than the remaining pieces I can attach, like a giant puzzle.

I think I'm going to go spend the night at my parents tonight. I can take a hot shower, sleep in air conditioning and otherwise act like a normal person again. That way I'll be there when my brother wants to leave too. I'm sure he is going to want to leave early. He said it took him about four hours to get into the Westbank today. Tommorrow will probably be worse, more people will be trying to get back in than.

More later.

No comments:


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/