Thursday, February 26, 2009

Philip Jose Farmer Dies



Philip Jose Farmer, one of science fiction's greatest writers died Wednesday. He was 91 years old. I can't remember the first story I read by Mr. Farmer. I've got at least two dozen or more of his novels and probably half a dozen collections of his short fiction. He was not a writer that you could type, he was as comfortable writing pulp fiction as well as writing stories involving sex with aliens. He straddled the new wave and the old vanguard of science fiction. I've been reading his work just about as long as I've been reading. Along with writers like Isaac Asimov and Harlan Ellison Philip Jose Farmer has been one of the constants that I can always go back to and enjoy. When I was younger, in my teenage years, science fiction reached out and grabbed ahold of me in a big way. For about ten years that was probably all I read. I gradually moved away from just reading science fiction until today it's a genre that I rarely read. I don't ignore it, but at one time I could name all the major writers and what they had done, today I'm not sure who would be considered some of the big names in the science fiction field. I'll pick up something science fiction now and than and read it. Except there are always a few I can always go back to and read, no matter how many times I've read their work I know I'll enjoy it again. It's why I hold onto books like gold and rarely if ever throw one out, it's always a thrill to reach back and read something that once gave me joy. Mr. Farmer's work was one of those that I always enjoyed, no matter how many times I've read it. For me his greatest work was his Riverworld novels. This was a collection of novels where everyone that had ever lived and died on earth woke up on the banks of a huge river on another world. It was on this world we read the adventures of Richard Burton (the adventurer, not the actor) and Samuel Clemens and so many others.

I think it might be time for another visit to the Riverworld.

Rest in peace, Mr. Farmer and thanks for all your words.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Travis Cody said...

Riverworld was always a series I was attracted to, but for some reason I never followed through and read it. Maybe now is the time to pick it up.

John Holland said...

You should give it a try. I think you'd like it. It mixes historical figures with science fiction. The first couple novels are the best.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/