Friday, February 06, 2009

Bon Jovi Comes To Jazz Fest

Bon Jovi has just been added to the line up of this year's Jazz and Heritage Festival. I like Bon Jovi and welcome the chance to see him, but it brings up the problem I have with the way the Fest is going. The Festival is supposed to honor the musical heritage of New Orleans. You don't have to be a New Orleans act but you should at least has some sort of musical ties or musical kinship to the cities vast musical history. In the last half decade the Fest is becoming more concerned with landing big name acts that will draw the crowds. The Jazz Fest used to be unique among the many other big fests throughout the country, but it's becoming just one more a group.

This tears me in two directions. I like the big names, but I wish that the Fest could concretrate more on the smaller acts. I know it's not feasible but I can wish. It's a sort of Catch 22, they need the big names to get people through the gates. I just dont want them losing too much of the local flavor.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I adore Bon Jovi! But I have to agree with you they should really keep the festival true to its origins.

Travis Cody said...

I agree with you. Bon Jovi is terrific. But regional festivals should be about regional music.

Hopefully the promoters don't go too far with the big acts.

John Holland said...

Yea, that's the tough part. I really would like to see Bon Jovi, but I don't want the Jazz Fest to become just like every other big musical festival.

Anndi said...

It's not that big acts bother me, but I understand what you're saying about a connection to the spirit and origins of the festival.

I don't think there's a better version of Hallelujah than that of Jeff Buckley, God Rest his Soul.

John Holland said...

I agree with, big acts don't bother me. In fact it gives me a chance to see them when they might not otherwise come to New Orleans. It's just that they don't fit in what the festival was supposed to be about. Or maybe what that's the problem, what it was supposed to be about, now it's moved on.

masgblog said...

luv Bon Jovi and Luv that song..thx for posting


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/