I know Jazz Fest is still a ways off, but it's never too early to start planning. I thought that I'd list 13 acts that are performing at this years Jazz Fest that I want to make sure I see.
1. Wilco: For me there's no one better. I've been a fan of Jeff Tweedy from his days in Uncle Tupelo and his growth as the leader of Wilco is just amazing. I've seen this group at least three times and that's still not enough. Here's Wilco with Fleet Foxes singing one of my favorite songs of all time "I Shall Be Released."
2. Patty Griffin: I have been in love with this woman's voice and music since I stumbled across it a few years ago. Of all the acts that I want to see I think she's the one I'm most excited about since I've never seen her live before.
3. Drive by Truckers: Another band I've seen live a few times. A few years ago I saw them at the Voodoo Fest and for my money they were the best band there that year. And their Jazz Fest appearance includes Booker T. Jones.
4. Amanda Shaw: Another act I've seen more times than I can count. A local Amanda has grown up before our eyes, singing and playing since she was a child. She just recently celebrated her 18th birthday and her first album out on a major label.
5. Los Lobos: This is a band I've been a fan of for years. I remember buying their first album (yes it was vinyl)back before anyone had ever heard of them. I saw a little review of it somewhere and decided to pick it up. I see them as a modern day version of The Band in a lot of ways. I've never seen them live and look forward to hearing them.
6. Solomon Burke: I have to admit that I didn't really discover Mr. Burke until his "comeback" prodcued by Joe Henry. That is such an beautiful album and he is another act I've never seen live yet. I simply love this song.
7. Theresa Andersson: I know this is someone everyone that reads this blog has probably gotten tired of me talking about, but for as many times as I've seen this lady perform I'll go out of my way to see her again. This is the song that she's been opening her show with the last year and it is simply amazing.
8. Charmaine Neville: daughter of Charles Neville of the Neville Brothers, Charmaine is a talent herself. Again I've seen her before, again I'll see her.
9. Avett Brothers: Another band I've just recently been turned onto, but am enjoying very much. Looking forward to seeing them for the first time.
10. The Vettes: Another local band but one I haven't had the chance to see live.
11. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings: Soul music. I haven't seen her yet either so this will be a treat.
12. Irma Thomas: Talking about soul music I have to mention Irma Thomas, New Orleans Queen of Soul. Yes I've seen her a few times but every time is worth it. She performed "Bridge Over Troubled Water" with Paul Simon and Allen Touissant and it was beyond words. Here's she singing a song the Rolling Stones all but stole from her.
13. Jakob Dylan: Son of you know who. I saw him at the HOB with his band the Wallflowers and they put on a fun show.
There's 13 but I could keep going on. And what's even more fun is discovering the acts that I had no idea of listening to, just wandering from one stage to another and overhearing a snatch of song and having to investigate to hear something that roots you to the spot.
This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/