Thursday, May 31, 2007

Thirteen Thursday #27: 13 Random Books


Thirteen Random Books From My Book Shelf Number #27


Ok, I've missed the last three weeks of Thirteen Thursday. I feel like I missed turning in my homework or something, this is something that should be done on Thursdays. The first one I really had a good excuse, I was in Washington D.C. and had no internet access. The next week I started one, but kept having trouble downloading music to it. We all know the problems I've had with music on here, I didn't want to blast everyone with 13 songs singing at one time again. I finally figured it out, but it was two weeks later, so that was kinda late. But I'm back finally.

This 13 I stole, eh...borrowed the idea from Trav who made a list of the first 13 books from his bookshelf. I'm not going to list the first 13 but a random 13 that I can see from my desk. I have a bookshelf behind the desk with a walkspace between them that covers one wall of the room. This bookshelf holds pretty much paperback books. So with that long winded introduction to this 13 out of the way here they are, in no particular order:

1. Max by Howard Fast. This is not one of his series novels which is what hooked me into him in the first place.

2. The Best of Raymond Z. Gallun. This book was published back when Del Rey (I don't think they are still publishing under that name, are they?) was doing a whole series of Best of Books from great science fiction writers. Gallun was a writer from the thirties.

3. Pastwatch by Orson Scott Card. A time travel story involving Christopher Columbus. Card is one of my favorite writers with the Ender series.

4. Knight Life by Peter David. King Arthur comes back to life in the present and in New York City. A humorous take on the story by a writer more known for his comic book work.

5. Galaxy: The Best of My Years by James Baen. Galaxy was a science fiction magazine that published some of the best science fiction ever written. Baen was one of its last, if not last editors before the magazine folded. He published some great work by writers like Poul Anderson, Isaac Asimov, Larry Niven, Ursula K. LeGuin, John Varley and Roger Zelazny. He also brought in Spider Robinson to do book reviews. Spider was one of my favorite reviewers ever.

6. Love, Dad by Evan Hunter. Hunter is better known as Ed McBain, the mystery novelist who created the 87th Precinct. He also wrote the book the movie Blackboard Jungle was based on and the script for the movie The Birds. Evan Hunter was his real name and he wrote many great novels under that name also.

7. The Many Colored Land by Julian May. Part of a science fiction/fantasy series that I read years ago and actually can't remember a lot about.

8. In The Blood by Nancy Collins. This is part of her Sonja Blue vampire series. I think this series is so much better than the much over rated Vampire novels by Anne Rice.

9. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty. One of the best western novels ever. A really great story. I remember when I picked this book up for the first time, not really sure if I would like it, I'm not a big reader of westerns. I couldn't put it down, it was one of the books that I read as fast as I could turn the pages and did not want to put down.

10. Slam the Big Door by John D. McDonald. One of the greatest writers ever. The creator of perhaps the finest private detective series ever, Travis McGee. This is not part of his series, it was one of the many non series mysteries he wrote over the years.

11. Journey by Marta Randall. I remember really liking this novel years ago. It's a science fiction story and had a sequel to it.

12. The Iron Fist by Norman Spinard. Another science fiction novel about an alternate world ruled by the Nazis.

13. The Werewolf Principle by Clifford Simak. Simak wrote a lot of science fiction novels that might not have reached literary heights but always told a great story with believable people.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



7 comments:

Travis Cody said...

I read Julian May's novels and enjoyed them.

I think I might have something by Simak too...yup. I have Where the Evil Dwells.

It's very cool to be able to take a few steps into the library to confirm that!

Anonymous said...

Except for Lonesome Dove, I haven't heard of any of these titles. I am intrigued by 'Kinght Life', it sounds very interesting. Thanks for visiting my TT. Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

Pastwatch was a trip. Speaker for the Dead is one of my favorite books of all!

Unknown said...

I love to hear about new books!!! Thanks for this list this week

Anonymous said...

I enjoy Card's novels too.

Anonymous said...

I've only read one of these - Max - and that was years ago! I loved all of Howard Fast's books, though

Michael said...

Back when I thought I'd be a published Science Fiction author someday, I wanted to be Orson Scott Card when I grew up (I'll be 51 soon and I'm still waiting for that to happen, so I guess there's still hope!)

That's a great list of books, but what I find greatest about it is this: although you have listed, almost exclusively, the types of books I love to read (a number of them by authors I love to read), I haven't gotten to any of these!

Yet.

Quite amazing.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/