Monday, May 28, 2007

Science Fiction Book Club To End


For 54 years the Science Fiction Book Club offered a place to purchase inexpensive hardbound editions of some of the best science fiction books out there. They also printed up their own versions of paperbacks in hardbound and even did special editions of books. They also were a place to find graphic novels and other art books.




You've seen their ads, like the one above. If you read a science fiction book you'll probably come across a sheet advertising the above deal stuck in the book. You get the first five books for a dollar and agree to buy so many more in the next year for regular club prices. The regular club prices are still a good deal lower than what you'd find at the local bookstore.

I remember after I got my first job, one of the first things I did was join the SFBC. I couldn't wait. I'd seen their ads and been figuring out which books I wanted. I remember I bought Harlan Ellison's Dangerous Visions and I think Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy. As soon I was able to I remember getting Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter Martian series. At that time the regular club price was $1.98. A deal you couldn't beat. A large chunk of my science fiction library is made up of books I bought from the SFBC.

I can still remember the feeling I had when those books arrived. The size of the box. Back than as a kid we didn't have the disposable income that kids today seem to have. Getting something like this in the mail was a big thing to me. I remember opening it and pulling the books out of that box, it was like Christmas morning. Having books delivered to me.

It's a shame that the Club is closing down. I'm sure there are still a lot of kids (and even adults, I'm still a member) out there that need a place like it to be able to afford to purchase everything they want. The closing seems to be another symptom of the consolidation of publishing companies. The SFBC was owned by Bookspan and was purchased six weeks ago by Bertelsmann.

A shame.

3 comments:

Travis Cody said...

This is a shame. I was a memeber for many years. As you say, it was a great way to begin building a library. I have a number of multi-book compilations.

Some books I got from SFBC include:

The Proteus Operation by James P. Hogan.
The Chronicles of Amber 1&2 by Roger Zelazny.
Guardians of the Flame 1&2 by Joel Rosenberg.
Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams.

John Holland said...

Yeah, I loved those multi volume collections they offered. It was always a great deal. I loved those Amber novels by Zelazny. I might have to go find mine and re-read them.

Sarah said...

I'm a member too. I hope they're not closing up shop right away so I can grab some of the 3-in-1's I've been wanting.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/