Thursday, May 31, 2007

Dad Update

Haven't mentioned much about my Dad lately. No news is good news right? Well, I just got off the phone with my Mom. My brother was just there, he stopped by on his way to my niece's graduation in Pennsylvania. My Dad fell again. This time he broke his arm. My Mom said he's going to have to stay in a Rehab type hospital until his arm heals. She said she can't take care of him with his broken arm. She's been doing pretty much everything for him, helping him walk, shaving him, bathing him, etc. But at least with two arms he was some help, now with an arm out of commission she just won't be able to do it. Plus he hasn't been doing his exercises. I think his mental state has just gotten so bad because he thinks he is going to die. Hopefully the Rehab will make him do his exercises. I think if he can get some strength back up so he can do some things on his own it will help his spirits. Part of the problem is his breathing, which he has a lot of trouble. Smoking has just about killed his lungs, so he has a lot of trouble breathing, which makes it hard to do things.

I'm sorry, I'm kind of just running in circles here and not really sure how much sense I'm making, but it helps just to put it down here. I'm thinking of maybe trying to take a few days off to try and go see him and help my Mom get him situated in the Rehab. I don't know if it will help or not, he might think my coming up there now means he is about to die.

The kids were supposed to come back with my brother after the graduation, but probably won't now. My Mom will be spending all her time at the Rehab with my Dad, so they'd be stuck at their house with no where to go. They could visit my Dad, but they're not going to want to spend 12 hours a day there. Though they probably would, I've never seen two kids that think so much of a grandparent.

You know you never think about things like this. I always just thought that both my parents were always going to be there. I knew that sooner or later that they would die, but I just figured it was always going to be later. I hate that later is becoming much too soon.

Sometimes it's hard to just know what to do.

5 comments:

Lara Croft said...

I've lost my mother, grandmother and best friend in the last 4 years. It is a hard thing to grasp. All you can do is make sure you have said all the things you want and need to say and let them know you love them. LC

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I just lost my dad on March 24th. But he was here in the same city and I got to be with him often, and all the time during his last week.

If you have the urge to go and help your mom out, I would do it. Your dad will appreciate it, too, even if it might make him think the end is nigh. Doesn't matter. Make hay while the sun shines.

"I hate that later is becoming much too soon."

I know what you mean. But right now you do have time - make the most of it. You'll be very glad that you did.

JAM said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I know that it's tough on your Mother too. Like Ms Croft said, just let them know you love them and that if there's something you can do, then do it. Hopefully knowing that they aren't alone with help them both. Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Hi John...

I agree with what Julia said...
Go be with him...and the grandkids too...doesn't matter if he thinks it's because he's moving on...The fact of the matter is...your presence as well as other family will be the best support for him to regain strength...it's the being alone that makes one weaker...You've been there before when he's had set backs...no need to change that...
My thoughts are with you...

Travis Cody said...

I guess we're at an age now where this begins to happen. I've watches some friends recently go through the loss of their parents.

Sometimes I feel bad because I'm happy my parents are so healthy.

But it is something we all go through. Take care. Help where and when you can.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/