Friday, November 17, 2006

Hiring Blues

Ok, where I work one of my jobs is the hiring (and sometimes firing, it seems whenever a manager wants to fire one of their associates I somehow get asked to sit in, but that's a story for another time) of employees. With Christmas coming up, and Black Friday even sooner, I am trying to hire as many people as possible.

I still can't believe how hard it is to hire people since the hurricane. That was over a year ago. The parish (the rest of you call it a county) I live in has had a dramatic increase in its population since the hurricane. A lot of people that used to live in New Orleans is now living out here. So with so many extra people you would think I would be having the opposite problem, having to turn people away. That's what you would think. But it's been a problem since Katrina, and it still is a problem. No one wants to work.

Than there are the people like this one woman I hired. I hired her one day and she was supposed to come to orientation the next day. Doesn't show up. Doesn't call. No word from her. Ok, I figured she found a new job or just decided that this job wasn't for her. It would have been nice if she called to let me know. But lately that has been a big problem. No shows after I hire them. What gets me even more is the no shows after they sit throught an orientation. Why go through all the time and trouble of getting hired and sitting through a four hour orientation to not show up for work?

Anyways getting back to this one particular woman. No show so I file her application away. About two weeks pass. She comes in with a friend that fills out an application. She sees another manager and tells this manager that she wants to set up a new time for her orientation. This manager comes to me and tells me what's going on and asks if I want to set up a new time for her orientation. I tell her I'll go talk to the woman. When I get up there and ask if there is anything I can help her with she tells me no, she's just here with her friend. About an hour later she corners one of our admin people and tells her that I told her to let my person know she is supposed to set up a new orientation with her. Again I am called. If you can guess she didn't get the orientation.

So today, about half a week later I bring her friend in for an interview. She comes with her friend again. I hire her friend. As soon as I finish talking to her friend she steps into the room. She starts to ask if I think it would be possible....I don't even let her finish. I tell her no. She didn't show up, she didn't call. She tells me that she is living with friends and they don't have a phone. Only a cell phone. ??? I ask her why she couldn't call me on a cell phone. I tell her that she couldn't get in touch with me for two weeks to let me know what was going on there is no way I am going to hire her now.

Is it just me or am I crazy for thinking like this?

2 comments:

Barb said...

No, you are not crazy. This woman obviously had NO clue.

Mike said...

It really makes you wonder doesn't it. There are jobs available and no one wants to work. If I needed a job and had no money I would jump on it. I just don't know what else to say lol.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/