Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween! When I was a kid this one of my favorite holidays. It was the first time my parents let my brother and me out by ourselves at night. We would get together with friends and go trick or treating. We lived in a trailer park with about three hundred trailers in it so there were plenty of houses to go to. And at our age we weren't going anywhere else. But it was the first feelings of freedom, or being older and being able to do what we wanted. We would go from trailer to trailer collecting our candy and laughing and joking and just having a good time.

Tonight I have to work. But I've noticed it doesn't seem like there are that many kids out trick or treating anymore. Maybe the times has just made parents more worried about letting their children out at night collecting candy from strangers. When I was a kid you heard stories about razor blades in apples, but that was more urban legend than truth. Today such tales are more truth than urban legend.

I've started reading Stephen King's newest novel LISEY'S STORY a few days ago. Approiate for Halloween. King is one of my favorite writers. When he is good he is very good and the few times when he's not, well the wait for a new Stephen King book is never long. And his new one is very good so far. My biggest complaint I've noticed about him in his books lately is he loves his little homilies, his old home sayings, he will have his characters say them over and over....

I'm over half way done and so far there have been no monsters or vampires or supernatural demons in the book. Well, maybe there is some supernatural in it, maybe a ghost, but what it is mainly is a love story and a story about a woman who is grieving for her dead husband and trying to move on with her life.

Very good so far.

1 comment:

Heidi Meeley said...

Happy Halloween John! I am sorry to hear you have to work. Hopefully it won't be too hectic.

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays. Candy and ghost stories- two of my favorites.

I haven't read any Steven King ever. It was another author my parents wouldn't let me read. Hmmm... I am sensing a pattern. I never saw a horror movie until I was grown up living on my own either.

At any rate, have a wonderful Halloween!


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/