Sunday, March 29, 2009

Facebook

Image representing Facebook as depicted in Cru...Image via CrunchBase

I've thought of Facebook as another one of those many, many internet sites that seem to be popping up and everyone rushes to join and it's the buzz. I admit I joined a long time back, mainly because my niece dropped her myspace page and went to facebook. We seemed to keep up with each other better on myspace so I thought we could continue it on facebook. Except that I found Facebook ugly and confusing compared to myspace and hardly ever went on it. I found texting worked just as well to keep in touch with my niece.

Well for some reason, I really don't know why I went on Facebook yesterday and decided to look around. You always hear about how people are connecting on Facebook and finding friends that they haven't been in touch with for years. I'm not sure how they find someone on there, most people won't let you click on their profile and if you have the same name as probably at least a dozen others, how do you know which one is the person you're looking for. Still I put in a few names of friends I've lost touch with over the years.

Bingo! I had a hit. And what's even weirder is that he has just really gotten into Facebook in the last few weeks. I found two old friends, Jason and Claire. They used to live in New Orleans and hardly a week would go by without a bunch of us getting together. They moved to just outside Atlanta and a group of us would still visit them every summer. Than we missed a summer and before you knew it we were missing more.

I really don't know where the time goes. One minute we're the best of friends, talking and visiting. The next it's years later and we haven't talked since. No ones fault, just one of those things. But I found Jason online and we chatted in im for awhile. Than today Claire called and we talked even more. They have two kids who I thought of as family when they were younger. Now one's just joined the Marines and is in boot camp right now and the other is playing in a band.

Hopefully this summer I'll make a trip up there to see them all and make up for some lost time. And I'll stop talking bad about Facebook now.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

6 comments:

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I joined Facebook, because an old friend invited me. I know a bunch of people on there from the bloggosphere. I really hardly ever go there. I hate all those 'memes' I get sent 100 times a week...

Maybe I am too old for Facebook, or just too busy.

aims said...

Facebook is good for finding old friends and getting back in touch with people. I'll have to "find" you John.

John Holland said...

Bond, I agree with you pretty much about Facebook. I joined and than never went on it. But now that I finally did I'm glad, like I said, I found some old friends that I haven't talked to in years and that made it more than worth it.

Amy, I see you "found" me. Now we're friends on facebook too.

Travis Cody said...

I've heard that Facebook has made some improvements to make it easier to work with. Still haven't felt the call to sign up.

I think I'm like Vinny...too old and too busy.

Anonymous said...

Hey John...
I'd like to add you to my facebook page...
Sorry I wasn't able to reply to your post about my coming to NOLA...I was there for a convention with 4 co-workers who had never been so it would have been pretty impossible for me to meet up with you this time around...I hope to return later this year though...I was so rushed this trip, there was so much I did not get to see and do...

John Holland said...

Janey, go ahead and add me to your facebook page. Sorry I missed this post too probably. I'm glad that you were so busy than I don't feel so bad about not being able to get away. Hope you had a good time down here and got to have a little fun.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/