Thursday, March 15, 2007

My Favorites of The Science Fiction Books I Listed

Ok, Scifi Chick says I need to pick my favorites of all the books I listed in the top fifty a few posts down. It's going to be hard but I'll try and pick a few of my favorites.

And yes, Trav, I have never read any of the Ring novels. I was never that big a fantasy fan when I was younger, I veered towards science fiction and stayed away from most fantasies. I've never read a Rings book nor have I seen one of the movies.

First I'd have to list Deathbird Stories by Harlan Ellison. This isn't a novel by a collection of stories by Harlan Ellison. If you've never read Ellison you're missing a lot. He was classified as science fiction, but he is as close to fantasy as I read back than. But his stories were not the sword and socercy fantasy, but more reality type fantasy. The title story re tells the fight between God and the Devil but puts it into the framework that the winner writes the history books. Ellison is one of my favorite writers.

To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip Jose Farmer was the first in the Riverworld novels. On a world with a giant river wakes up Samuel Clemens and famed adventurer Richard Burton. Why are they there? Why is everyone that ever lives waking up on this world? All these answers and more famous people come up in future novels. This is a great story.

Stormbringer by Michael Moorcock is fantasy fiction. This is the first in the Eternal Champion series starring Elric. This has it all, swords, magic, fantasy and the first in a long line of stories that star Elric and his other versions as other champions throughout time.

Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke is science fiction that is mostly labeled hard science fiction.

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny is a science fiction/fantasy retelling of the Indian gods as superpowered beings. The first in a great series.

Ok, I'll stop there. I could keep listing books all day, but those are some of my favorites.

1 comment:

Travis Cody said...

I guess it always surprises me when someone hasn't read LOTR. But to each his own taste.

I enjoy Zelazny's Amber series.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/