Friday, August 12, 2005

Jon Sable


Back than there was mainly Marvel and DC. If comics were published it was by one of these two giants. Sure there were some other companies, but none that really gave them a run for their money. Especially with superheroes, action, adventure type comics. Than came the direct market, a subject for another day, and suddenly there were all these other comic companies...Eclipse, Pacific, First, Comico. It seemed everyday there was a new comic company starting up. And they published superheroes, action, adventure...the stuff that was the blood of Marvel and DC.

They also published a lot of different material. Suddenly there were a lot of other genres in comics. Suddenly a lot of writers and artists had other places to bring their creations to. Places that let them own their creations and didn't take them lock, stock and barrel.

One of these companies was First Comics out of Chicago. They didn't put out as much as some of the other companies like Eclipse or Pacific, which seemed ready to publish just about anything. But almost every comic they published was good.

Now IDW Comics is brining back these comics. They're reprinting the old stories in trade paperback and creating new stories. New stories with the creators. Grimjack was the first to come back. Now Jon Sable. Mars is coming. We can only hope that they plan to reprint the Nexus saga by Mike Baron and Steve Rude.

Years back I sold most of my comics. When this comic boom was going on I bought just about everything that came out. I spent way way too much money on comics. But I had just about every comic published by Eclipse, Pacific, First, Comico and a bunch more. Now I have almost none. So IDW's plans to reprint these comics is great news to me. It means I have a chance to get these stories back.

Even better is the fact that they're publishing new stories. I knew Jon Sable was coming back, somehow I missed it. I just picked up the third issue today. I've got my comic shop, hopefully, getting the first two issues for me. I've also got to get the first two reprint volumes.

Is the new Jon Sable as good as the original? Reading the new issue it was like reading an issue from back than. The art, the story is just as good as I remembered from before.

Next up is Mars, a series I remember with a lot of fondness. I can't wait to see it. I dont' think they're doing new stories of Mars but they are reprinting the original.

1 comment:

John Holland said...

No, Marvel was where Spiderman and the Fantastic Four and the Hulk hung out. Superman and Batman was DC comics.

Glad to hear from you again. Hope you are feeling a little better.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/