Monday, September 25, 2006

When The Saints Come Marching In (I'll Be Off In A Corner Reading A Book)

Tonight is the first home game for the New Orleans Saints back in the Superdome since Katrina. It's a big game for the team and for the city. There's almost as much press in the city for tonight's game as there is for a Superbowl. U2 and Green Day are here to sing one song apiece for the pregame show.

And while I appreciate what it means to the city and the people here I really am not that excited about the game. I'm really not a football fan. In fact I was supposed to open today, but Larry who is a big football fan and was supposed to close, asked if I would switch shifts with him. So it was no big deal for me to do so. In fact if I had been home tonight I would have been watching the season premiere of Heroes and the second episode of Studio 60.

Me sitting home by myself and watching a football game? Not going to happen. Now I have watched a football game or two in my day. I've even been to the Superdome and saw the Saints play before.

Back when I lived on the Westbank and when I lived next door to Mark we used to have a SuperBowl party every year. We did that for about four or five years. I can watch a football game with a group of friends. Then it's not just about the game, it's about the event. Our parties would start early and end late, so the game was just a part of the whole thing. Rain, shine, cold...it didn't matter. I remember one year the game was on the day we had an ice storm. That was the year I set my head on fire trying to start the grill in freezing windy weather.

So the choice between watching a football game and reading a book...really isn't that much of a choice.

No comments:


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/