Friday, May 05, 2006

Jazz Fest 2006 Day Four

Wow, a whole week has gone by and it's time for the final weekend of Jazz Fest. If this post isn't that long or in depth as some of the previous ones I apologize, but it's late and I'm tired and I still have to get things ready for my trip to Disney that I leave for in two days. Am I crazy or what?

Hopefully I'll make up for any shortage in words with pictures.

First up was the Pine Leaf Boys. They are a local group from Lafayette. They sing traditional cajun music. These guys were a bunch of college kids just a year ago. Now they're a really good sounding musical group. Nothing like that ever happened to me when I was in college.

Next up was Kim Carson. She's another local singer that's been around forever. She reminds me a little of Lucinda Williams.

After Kim I tried to make my way back to the Southern Comfort stage where Larry already was. I got into the crowd, even close enough to see Larry and our chairs by the front of the stage but the crowd was so packed I gave up. Marcia Ball was coming on so I figured I'd just stand where I was and watch the show.

And what a show! After Springsteen I think this was my favorite show of the Fest so far. She did a new song called "Bucktown" about the area in Kenner called Bucktown and of course Katrina. She also did a version of Randy Newman's Louisiana 1927 that was killer. This was an awesome show.

Marva Wright was on after Marcia. Marva is a local blues singer. She was visibly moved by the crowd, she came out, grabbed her mike and started crying. She wiped away the tears and started to sing. Wow, can this woman sing! She is a real blues singer.

After Marve was Tab Benoit, another local blues singer. Another good show.

The final act was KoKo Taylor, a legendary blues singer. She got her start from Willie Dixon back in the 40s. She only did an hour show, even that got to her, she had to sit down after she would sing a few lyrics and get her breath back. But she was a trooper.

All in all another great day of Jazz Fest and a great start to the final weekend. The weather again was great, overcast so the sun did not come out and bake us and the rain held off.

No comments:


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/