Saturday, February 06, 2010

The Queen's Meme

I got this Meme from Trav and while I commented and answered some of the questions at his blog I really wanted to do it over here, so here it is.


The Queen's Meme #22 - Come on Baby, Light My Fire


Before you get carried away and let your mind wander down a trail of romantic and erotic intrigue, stop. We're not talking about that kind of fire. Not today anyway. We're talking about intellect, entertainment and adventure. 

I'd like you to take a look at the what makes you happy and brings you joy. Pretend you are talking to a new friend. Answer the questions as enthusiastically as you can and share with your friend what lights your fire. Recommend your favorites, what you're passionate about - and tell us why. If it's too hard to choose just one, narrow it down to the best of the best. Everyone who reads your answers will not only get a better sense of who you are but we might be inspired to check it out upon your expert recommendation. I like learning something new everyday. If you open the door of my imagination, I just might step through. Tell me!



1. Which historical figure do you admire the most? Why?  I'm going to stretch this one and not pick just one person, but a group.  I am fascinated with the men and women who created this country.  You can find fault with them if you wish, but have a group of people ever created something so good and great? 


2. Name the band or artist you'd like to see live in concert before you leave the planet or tell us about a concert or album that has already rocked your world.  I've had the good fortune to see some amazing concerts: Bruce Springsteen at Jazz Fest the year after Katrina, Will Hoge at Bonnaroo, Joss Stone at the HOB, Shannon McNally, Theresa Anderson, Dylan at the Zoo, John Boutte and Paul Sanchez at French Quarter Fest....these and more are shows that thrilled me, moved me, brought me to tears.  And still there are ones I've missed and want to see: Neko Case, Tom Petty, Avett Brothers; but I'm going to cheat a little because I'm going to pick someone that I could not see today.  The top of my wish list would be to see the Beatles.  I saw Paul McCartney on his last tour and I felt like that captured some of the excitement of a Beatles show, but I know it really comes nowhere what a true Beatles show would have been.  Of any concert I could see that would be who I most want to see.


3. What's your favorite television show or series of all time? Why should I care?  This is a tough one, I have a few favorite shows, which one being my favorite probably depends on when you ask me.  On Trav's blog I agreed with his choice of The West Wing, one that definitely fights for a spot as my number one.  It's one of the few shows I've watched from start to finish at least three times.  It's one of those shows that makes you think, makes you proud of your country even as it makes you question it at the same time.  It's just that good a show.  But I think for my number one show I'm going to have to go with the show that gave a name to my dog...Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  I watched this show at least three, if not more times, from start to finish.  If you think it's only a show about vampires and horror, you've never watched this show.  This is a show about people and belonging and how we fight off loneliness and just plain about the human condition.   


4. Movies! I am so behind on the movie scene. What should I watch this weekend? Should I watch it alone or with someone?   I am really behind in my movie watching.  Once upon a time I would be seeing at least two or three movies a week, now I can't remember the last movie I saw at the theater.  Or even on DVD.  There's a lot of great movies, but one that hardly anyone remembers or even saw, that was always one of my favorites is Creator.  It came out in 1985 and stars Peter O'Toole, Mariel Hemingway, Vincent Spano and Virginia Madsen.  It didn't make much of a dent when it came out, I think it was pushed as a teen comedy and it was far from that.  It's a movie that will make you laugh and cry and think.  What more can you ask of a movie?


5. You are hopping on a plane tomorrow morning. Where did you choose to go and why?  Lots of places I'd love to go visit, never been to Japan and want to, but I think I would have to pick Alaska.  I've been there twice and I don't think there's any place more beautiful.  It's a beautiful place filled with some amazing people (ex vice presidential candidates excepted).


6. Who is your favorite author? What about their writing inspires you or simply entertains you? Recommend at least one book that you feel I must read.  I have a core group of writers that I can go back and read their work over and over.  John D. MacDonald is one, I never tire of reading his books.  The World According to Garp is a book I have to read every few years.  But the one writer that I read constantly is Harlan Ellison.  His fiction and non fiction has moved me, has made me think, has inspired me to want to write.  A month rarely passes that I don't pick up a book and read one of his stories or essays.


7. Hobbies and passions. What brings you joy in your spare time? How did you get into it?  Reading, writing and music.  I can't play or sing, but I love to listen to music.  And I love to read.  I think Travis said it best when he talks about not being able to part with his books, I understand the feeling very well. But at the rate it's going I'll have to move out and leave the place for my books.  And though it seems to be something I don't do very well I love to write.  Once upon a time I would write everyday, all the time.  I would stay home while everyone was out having a good time because I wanted to write.  Unfortunately it seems that desire has been derailed by a million and one excuses that should not matter, but writing is still a passion and one I want to make myself get back to more seriously.

2 comments:

Travis Cody said...

I thought you might pick Buffy...that's in the top 5 on any list of mine for favorite TV shows.

John Holland said...

You know me too well :)
It was tough between Buffy and West Wing, both really great shows.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/