Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Good Book

I'm not sure why I even picked up this book. Maybe because Stephen King mentioned in a recent column in Entertainment Weekly that Jodi Picoult was more than just a chick writer. Maybe because it was only $5.95, cheap fora paperback nowdays. It was probably because when I picked it up at Walmart and read the back of the book it intrigued me.

Whatever the reasons I picked up the book, I'm glad I did. I went home and threw some hotdogs on the grill. While waiting for the food to cook I picked up the book and figured I'd read the first few pages to see how it read. Later that night I was still reading the book. I couldn't put it down. By the next day I had read it.

My Sister's Keeper is about Anna, a 13 year old girl that was concieved to be a donor for her older sister that is sick with lekumia. Suddenly at the age of 13 Anna decides that she wants to have the last say about what is done to her body and goes to a lawyer to try to settle the matter. But there's so much more to this story than just that plot. Picolut makes these characters live and breath. She makes you think Anna is right and than within a few pages you're wondering why she doesn't want to help save her sister's life. There are no simple answers in this story.

And if you don't have tears in your eyes after the ending you have to be heartless.

This was a truly great book. One that I'm glad I read. There's a movie coming out this month that's a adaptation of the book. I read that the ending to the movie has changed from the ending of the book. If you've read the book you can guess what they changed. There's just no way that they would film the ending of this book.

I've alread bought another one of Picoult's books, 19 Minutes. It's the story of a high school boy who goes to school one day and shoots and kills ten classmates.

If you've been hestiant about reading Jodi Picoult because she's branded a "chick writer" don't be. She's not a chick writer, she's a writer of the human heart.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

8 comments:

aims said...

I picked this book up knowing that I wanted to see the movie at the end of the month, I too read it in less than 2 days, it was really good.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I am going to have to go find this one I guess...thanks

John Holland said...

Amy, Can you guess what the movie is going to change from the ending of the book? I haven't seen the movie yet of course, but I figure it will have to do with Anna, I don't want to say more since some people reading this may not have read the book yet but want to.

Vinnie, It's worth looking for. Walmart has a bunch of copies for less than six dollars, that's where I got my copy. And once you read it you'll probably be like me and searching for more of her work. I just finished reading Nineteen Minutes and it was another great read.

aims said...

It will be interesting to see how they end the movie. I sobbed reading the booked, won't want to do that in a theater! :o) I'll have to pick up some of her other books.

Marvalus said...

I just started this book...wanted to read it before I saw the movie...

It is really good so far...

Glad to have you back!

Travis Cody said...

Thanks for the tip. I may be interested in that second book you noted. I've heard that Ms Picoult is quite an insightful writer.

John Holland said...

I've read Nineteen Minutes now too and it is another very good book. It's about school shootings and it doesn't offer any easy answers.

Anonymous said...

wish I had the time to read...Right now, I barely have time to even write but if I come across it, I'll check it out...The premise of the story is probably much more common than people think...


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/