Monday, June 16, 2008

The New Way To Get Your Music Sold: Commercials



It seems the new way for unknown bands or performers to get noticed and sell a lot of cds is to appear in an Ipod commercial.



I'm not going to go into a rant about artists selling out by appearing in commercials. I used to think that and still wonder about certain artists selling out a classic song to sell blue jeans or something. I don't want to see a Beatles' song hawking underarm deodorant.



But I understand the fact that for a new band to even have a chance in today's marketplace it is hard. Radio doesn't break singles like they used to. Heck, singles aren't really singles anymore.



Even older acts are getting into the act. I read an interview with John Mellencamp about why he let Chevy use his song "Our Country" for a commercial. He basically said that he wanted to reach as many people as he could with his music and the record company did virtually nothing to promote his music anymore, he would do what he needed to.



I guess in today's marketplace you have to do what you have to do in order to get your music out there. I can understand how frustrating it must be for an artist that's been around as long as John Mellencamp to put his album out and get no support for it. And if it's that hard for an established act, how hard must it be for a newcomer?



The above commercials are:

1) Ting Tings Shut Up and Let Me Go
2) Feist 1,2,3, 4
3) Jet Are You Gonna Be My Girl
4) U2 Vertigo
5) John Mellencamp Our Country
6) Willie Nelson and Ryan Adams Move It On Over

5 comments:

Cinnamon Girl said...

Well first off let me say that once Bob Dylan did a Victoria's Secret commercial, a new day dawned.

Commercials are actully where I find a lot of songs I love. That and MySpace music and my beloved 947.fm KNRK. KNRK does a feature called Passport Approved with songs from bands around the world.

U2 is my favorite band and after 26 years they can do no wrong with me.

Melloncamp is a personal favorite as well and Jet is a great band.

Speaking of MySpace, check this kid out. He's very Ryan Adamsesque to me.

To Have Heroes

John Holland said...

I agree, the day of saying a band is selling out by doing a commercial is over. I've seen some great commercials with bands, it's just that there are still a few bands that I really don't want to see doing one. But in today's market I think a band has to do whatever it needs to in order to get their music out there.

John Holland said...

Oh and you're right. I checked out To Have Heroes, very good, I like him.

Tish said...

Hi, John! I finally got my DVDs a couple of days ago! I'm anxious to watch them, but I'm making my way through the earlier seasons again first. I finished up season 1 and am now working on season 2. Not sure if you're up on the latest Rescue Me news, but I just posted about it if you're not. Sadly, we will be waiting a while for Season 5. But there will be some new minisodes starting this Tuesday. Check it out on my blog. And I'm glad you're enjoying your DVDs!

Tish said...

Hey, remember to watch the 5 minute Minisode tonight!


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/