Saturday, February 02, 2008

More vinyl converting into the IPod


I've added a bunch more albums to the Ipod. I thought I'd list a few that I've been able to convert from vinyl to digital and put on the IPod.
Pictured above is the Red Rockers first album, Good as Gold. This is actually a local group from close to two decades ago. The lead singer is John Thomas Griffith who sings and plays guitar with Cowboy Mouth now. The guy third from left is Darren Hill who used to work with me back in the old Service Merchandise days when I lived and worked on the Westbank. At the time I knew he played guitar but didn't know he had a band. The Red Rockers didn't appear though until after he left the store, so maybe at that time he didn't have a band.
Alannah Myles: Alannah Myles. Her best known song is "Black Velvet" which I think is a fantastic song. She has a very good voice and the other songs on this album are pretty good, with a good rock to them. I have no idea what happened to her after this album though. Is she still around?
Richard and Linda Thompson: I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight. Richard Thompson got his start in the English folk group Fairport Convention. After he left the group he met and married Linda and they put out some amazing music until their divorce. Richard still writes and records today. Linda did one solo album and than disappeared for twenty something years, until a recent comeback. This is a classic album with great songs. Richard is one of those guitarists that other musicians are in awe of. I had a bootleg album of John Mellencamp doing a Richard Thompson song and talking about how great he thought Thompson was.
Rick Nelson: In Concert. By this point in his career he had dropped the y from his name and was just Rick. Rick, because of his tv show never got his due as a good, solid singer. After his teeny pop days Rick moved more towards country rock and Dylan. Some very good stuff here from the early 70's.
Bob Seger: Live Bullet and Ranblin' Gamblin' Man. I love Bob Seger. I've already copied one of his early albums onto the Ipod and have more to go after these. Most of my Bob Seger albums were on vinyl and not on cd. I have a few of his more recent ones on cd, but most of his stuff was done before cds so they're on vinyl. Ramblin' Gamblin' Man is his first album on a major label, this one being Capitol. Live Bullet is the album that help push him into super stardom. It is also one of the best live albums ever.
John Mellencamp: Scarecrow. This was the album that proved that John Mellencamp had to be taken seriously. His previous albums showed some of what he was capable of, but it was on this album that it all came together.
Chuck Berry: St. Louis to Liverpool. What can be said about Chuck Berry? He all but invented Rock and Roll. This is one of his classic albums with such hits as "Little Marie" (better known as Memphis), "Promise Land" and "No Particular Place to Go."
I have so many more to go. Except for the Bob Seger I've stayed away from doing more than one album by any one person. I'll do an album and than see another album that I just have to get recorded, so if I've already did one album by that person I'll put the next one off to the side to get something different.

3 comments:

Travis Cody said...

I did some more cassettes today too. I got to some of the Led Zep that I only had on cassette and never converted to CD. And then some other pop stuff that goes back to the 60's.

It's a fun project isn't it?

John Holland said...

It is fun. And a chance to listen to some great music again. Looking through my albums I discover some I forgot I even had it's been so long since I've been able to listen to them.

Anonymous said...

hey - just FYI - Alannah Myles has a NEW cd out called "black velvet" and it has a wicked remix of her classic song by the same name as well as 10 brand NEW songs.

http://www.alannahmyles.com/


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/