Friday, December 14, 2007

Daughty

Billboard has named Daughty's self titled album the number one selling album of the past year. It sold 3.2 million. The next up was Akon's "Konvicted" which sold 2.7 million. Now I know I'm in the minority here (obviously if 3.2 million people bought it) but I did not care for Daughty's album. I found his album represented everything I dislike about a lot of today's music. I found it so generic, drop it in the midst of half a dozen other "hot" hard rock groups of today and they all sound alike. He takes great pride in the fact that his album was so often compared to Nickleback and how much alike they sounded. Whatever happened to originality?

When Chris Daughty first appeared on American Idol I liked him. He and Taylor became my two favorites very quickly. (I never cared for Katherine McPhee. She always came off to me as thinking she was too good for everyone else. I'm not saying that's how she really was, just how she came across to me on the show.) I lost a lot of respect for Daughty though after he did the Johnny Cash song. When I first heard it I thought it was great and a very original take on the classic. The judges all agreed and he didn't say anything to make anyone think he didn't come up with the arrangement. The next week it was discovered that he copied the band Live's version of the Johnny Cash song. Which isn't bad, except for letting everyone think it was your arrangement. After that I wasn't as big a fan of Mr. Daughty.

I did buy his album when it first came out. It's probably the only album I have (and I have a lot of albums) that I have not listened to completely. I just couldn't get through it. I've tried a few times and everytime I find myself hitting the eject button before it makes it halfway through.

1 comment:

Travis Cody said...

That was the same moment that turned me off of the guy too. I liked his voice, but once I started hearing him every week he started to sound the same.

I'm glad the guy is having success. But his type of sound is one of the reasons I turn off the radio.

Give me more Taylor and I'm a happy guy.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/