Thursday, June 28, 2007

Under Construction

This blog will be under construction for a few days or so. I'm going to play with the templates and sidebars and everything. Check out the new header though - isn't it great? It was made for me by Jana over at Jannagraphics. I can't say enough good things about her, she's the one that designed this great new header and some other goodies that will be appearing on here shortly too. I've also went with a new template and may change a few more times. Let me know what you think about this one and everything else.

A quick question: Sidebars seem to be the bane of the blogging world. Most people seem to hate them, or think they should be small. Anyone that reads my blog knows I have a very loooooong sidebar. I like a long sidebar. I'm trying to put other sites or links that I think are cool and someone else may want to visit. I am going to fiddle with my sidebar some, but I doubt if I make it too much smaller. The question is: what do you all think of sidebars? Should they be small? Why the hate for long ones?

Ok, put your hard hat on while you visit for right now. Any comments on how things are looking, better or worse or whatever would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

Travis Cody said...

I don't mind long sidebars at all. Sidebars are really reflective of the blog owners as much as the posts are.

Are you sticking with this template, or working on something more elaborate?

Anonymous said...

Depends on what's in the sidebar and how it's displayed...It's like a display cabinet with all your valuables...if there's too many, it just looks like a bunch of junk...If there's too much clutter, I'm less apt to look at what's in it...
However, having said that...if it's chock full of goodies and there's some linear organization to it, it becomes easy to follow...
Visuals are nice to throw in there...which you always do...I have trouble with those who have blogrolls with 200 of their favorite fellow bloggers...I end up looking at none that way...

John Holland said...

Travis,
That's how I look at sidebars, as something the blog owner shares with the rest of us. I enjoy finding goodies on a sidebar. I'm not sure about the template, I might leave it with this one, I kind of like it, but am still playing around.

Janey,
Yeah, I'm always worrying that I'm junking up the place sometimes, but I can't help it. I like adding the visuals because I think it makes it look better.

John Holland said...

Travis
I didn't realize that this template was the same as yours until I hopped over to your site to check things out and was like Deja Vu!


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/