Sunday, March 16, 2008

Say It Ain't So

I've just started to get back my magazine subscriptions. After Katrina I let most of them laspe and just picked up the new issues on the newstands. For months after Katrina mail was so sporadic that you might get the May issue of a magazine is July. I've just got in the habit of picking up whatever issue of whichever magazine I want at the newstands. But it gets to be expensive, subscriptions are a lot cheaper, so I've started back. I'm a magazine junkie, reading anywhere from five or six different magazines on up.

I just received my first issue of No Depression in the mail today. No Depression is not a medical journal, despite the name. It's a magazine about music, mainly what would be labeled Americana, but it's a label that the magazine itself would struggle with, basically saying it was a magazine that covered American music.

For my money this is the best music magazine out there today. Magazines today tend to feature short articles for people that have the attention span of a fly. No Depression would feature long articles about fascinating people involved in the creation of some wonderful music. It highlighted forgotten creators as well as today's innovators. It was never a magazine that featured who was hot at the moment. Covers featured such musicans as the Shins, Lucinda Williams, Liz Wright, Potter Wagoner, Josh Ritter and now and than a more familar name like John Fogerty or Johnny Cash. It was a magazine that took me awhile to read. I would read an article and put it to the side and pick it up a few days later and read another article. It's one of the few magazines that I save.

In today's issue they announced that the next issue will be their last issue. After 75 issues they are closing up shop. In a market with a rapidly shrinking advertising market they just can't compete. I haven't been able to read the issue yet, I was so upset that I put it to the side. This is literally my favorite magazine and now it will be gone.

And magazines like People and Us continue strongly....

4 comments:

Travis Cody said...

That's a shame about your magazine. It must be getting so difficult for magazines to stay in business, with so many different ways to get the information that these magazines specialize in.

aims said...

I just heard that HARP Magazine is also shutting down. Sad state of affairs!

John Holland said...

Oh no, not Harp too. I haven't sent my new subscripiton in to Harp but I was getting ready to. That was another great music magazine. That's a shame.

aims said...

yep, article in Paste about ND and Harp.
http://www.pastemagazine.com/action/article/6832/news/music/rip_harp_20012008


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/