Friday, June 13, 2008

New Indy Movie

I went and saw Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull the other day. This is one of those movie series that have become more than a movie, it's part of our culture. I remember watching the first Indiana Jones movie in the theater and being blown away by it. The movie was such a great action movie with such a great main character. Harrison Ford was perfect in the role of Indiana Jones. He brought a humanity to the character that is easily missing in a lot of action heroes.

The sequels came and while everyone wants to argue they weren't as good as the first, they more than held up their own. Than after the third one...nothing. For a decade and half the rumors swirled that a new movie was coming. The three principals, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Harrison Ford, all had to agree on the script and it seemed nothing was going to bring all three to an agreement.

Until now. Finally they've all decided to dust off Indy's hat and bullwhip and get back into the game. Of course there's such a buildup for this movie that there was no way it was going to be as good as everyone expected. It's kind of like the fourth Star Wars movie. Everyone was waiting for it so long that there was no way it was going to live up its expectations. Except unlike the fourth Star Wars movie this movie doesn't suck.

Remember the first three movies were based on the old serials from the 40s. In updating the movie they based it on movies from the time period where it was based, the 50s. And in the 50s what were the big topics for the B movies of that time. Commies and aliens from outer space.

I think one of the best things they did was age Indy. Indy isn't a young man anymore. The years have passed, hints of past adventures are dropped throughout the movie. And bringing back Marion Ravenwood, Karen Allen, was a stroke of genius. The movie introduces a new character, a younger character that is being primed to take over the series.

So is the movie good? Yes, I think it holds up the tradition of the series in grand style. When Indy picks up his hat and you first seen him in silhouette, I could feel the thrills running up my back.

Before they continue with the new "Indiana" series I wouldn't mind seeing another one with Harrison Ford.

3 comments:

Cinnamon Girl said...

Completely in line with my review. It was a satisfying return all the way around. And I totally agree, Shia is not quite ready to tackle this alone. One more with Harrison is needed!

Travis Cody said...

I haven't gone to see it yet. I'm just so concerned with being disappointed. I think I'll wait and add it to my DVD collection.

I may regret not seeing it on the big screen, but I just don't want to be disappointed with it.

John Holland said...

I know what you mean, Travis. I had my doubts about going to see it. The movie has built up in my mind for so long it would be hard not to be disappointed. But like I said, I think it's actually pretty good. Maybe not the classic that we all hoped for, but nothing to be ashamed of either.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/