Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Day In The Life



This is the first time ever that the song "A Day In The Life" has been played live. By the time the Beatles recorded it for Sgt. Pepper they were in the final stages of their career as a group and we no longer doing live performances.

This is one of their songs that Paul and John traded verses on the song, so here Paul has to sing John's parts as well as his own. And where does he mess up? On is own verse he forgets a lyric. This is arguably one of the Beatles' greatest songs.

In the audience was Olivia Harrison and Yoko Ono.

I saw Paul five or six years ago when he did his last tour. It was a great show, with Paul doing lots of Beatles stuff alongside his own great solo hits. And he also took time in between songs and talked to the audience. He's starting what is being billed as his Last Big Tour and I'm hoping he comes this way.

For a final note, I wasn't expecting the song to morph into "Give Peace A Chance." Maybe I'm just a big softy, or you have to be a certain age, but I have to admit when I heard Paul singing "Give Peace A Chance" my eyes welled up. For my money this is the best song of its type out there. Simple and direct.

5 comments:

Travis Cody said...

A Day In The Life is truly a great song.

Cinnamon Girl said...

I have a love hate relationship with this song. I may only be 39, but when your lullabies include Black Bird and Rocky Racoon, it's a given the Beatles figure big in your life.

I will never ever forget the day John was shot. I was watching tv in my room (Bosum Buddies if I remember right) and on comes Walter with the news that John was shot. I had listed to Sgt Peppers that day and this song was stuck in my head. So for me the line about hearing the news gets me badly every time.

The following day my 6th grade teacher and I both showed up with black arm bands and just bawled our eyes out.

John Holland said...

I was watching a rerun of MASH right after the news. Somehow I missed the original announcement on the news. They broke in and reported that John Lennon had been shot and was dead. I collected every newspaper or magazine article I could find about the event. I taped his final interview he had did right before his death and listening to it afterwards was heartbreaking, he was so positive and full of energy for his comeback.

I think the Beatles belong to any age. Even today their music can touch kids.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Yup my 13 year old is a huge huge Beatles fan. Her Lullabies included Rocky Racoon, In My Life, Norweigan Wood and Ob La Di and of course Black Bird. And I bet she will sing them to her kids

sarge said...

The Beatles are the Mozarts, Beethovens, and Chopins of our time. Those 'Beatle years' will never be repeated. I'm glad I was here for some of it. Their music will be played, analized, and talked about for centuries to come. That is the hallmark of TRUE superstars. What a time it was.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/