Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Ipod Shuffle Blues

I love my Ipod. The first Ipod I bought was the First Generation. It was one of those that had controls above the wheel. I got it as they were transiting from the First Generation to the Second Generation and it was a display model at Best Buy, so I ended up getting a pretty good deal on it. It was a 20 G model, which meant it held around 5,000 songs. The most songs I ever managed to get on it was around 3,000.

Since than I've purchased a newer model. It's the 160 G model. It will hold around 40,000 songs and is in black. I've been downloading music on it since I got it and am now just crossing the 5,000 song point.

The cool thing about this is that now instead of cluttering my car up with cd cases from all the cds I had to have in it in case I wanted to listen to something I just need the Ipod. I hook it up and it plays through my radio. And anyone that knows me knows I could really pile up my car with CDs to listen to. And my stero at home has a docking station where I can plant the Ipod and just listen to it. If I put it on shuffle, which is usually how I keep it, the Ipod will just go through the 5,000 songs and pick out something to play. So I get a wide variety of music to listen to. Or if I'm feeling like a particular album all I have to do is scroll through the menu and find it and than I can listen to it.

It's a win/win situation.

Except for one thing. Anyone that has an Ipod knows that your music from your Ipod is loaded onto the Itunes page and they sync up. But if you lose this page, or switch computers - which is something I did recently - there are no songs on your computer and if you try to sync it up with your Ipod you lose all the songs on the Ipod. Now it took me awhile to fill up that Ipod with 5,000 songs and I didn't really look forward to having to go through all that again.

There is software out there that you can buy that supposedly will help you retrieve your songs from your Ipod and put them back on your comuter where everything can sync up and everyone is happy. I've went through three different pieces of software and could not get any of them to work.

I was getting desperate. My music was safe on the Ipod, but only as long as I was satsifed with just the songs I already had downloaded. If I tried to add anything to it I would end up erasing the songs already on it.

While I was at the bookstore trying to use a gift card from Christmas I noticed a small book called the Pocket Guide to Ipod & I Tunes. I picked it up and started flipping through it. I didn't hold much hope, but maybe it could point me in the right direction. Than I saw it....a chapter about forcing your music from your Ipod back onto your computer.

The book only cost $9.99, which was twenty dollars cheaper than each of those software programs cost, and I had already spent my gift card, but there was no way I was leaving that book in the store.

Basically Apple has made your songs from your Ipod inivisible on your computer and by following the instructions in the book I was able to pull the music from my Ipod and put it back into the Itunes folder in my computer.

Believe me when I tell you how happy I was. Actually at the time I only had about 4,000 songs on the Ipod. The last couple days I've spent going through some old cds and stuff and adding another 1,000 songs.

I plan to break out the phonograph player that converts vinyl to cd out and start going through my album collection. I have some albums that have never been issued on cd and probably never will, but I would love to be able to listen to them on my Ipod.

It's funny, but I hardly ever use the earbuds to listen to the Ipod. It gets its greatest use in the car.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was talking with someone yesterday about how resistant I was to letting technology control my life...It surprises people...
I didn't buy a computer until 1999...I still don't have my own cell phone...just the one my employer provides me...and even more surprising? No iPod...It's not that I fear technology...it's quite the opposite, I really like where technology has and can take us...Moreso, I fear not being able to function without it...
I've been checking out iPods recently...I'm looking at one that has video as well as music...It will be nice to put all of my live Bruce shows in one place so I can easily find things...As it is now, I don't "shuffle' my cd's nearly enough...And it will be great to dock it to some speakers in the house...I wasn't ev en thinking car yet................

John Holland said...

I love the fact that I can put so much music in such a small package and bring with me. It really makes listening to music in the car such a pleasure since I really don't care for most of today's radio stations. And hitting the shuffle you can get some nice surprises with what comes out.

Travis Cody said...

I just set my Itunes not to automaticall sync up. I do all my downloading manually and that saves me a lot of grief.

The thing I worry about is if my Ipod breaks down or gets lost or stolen. I'm in the process of coverting my cassettes and albums, and that's a huge job I don't want to keep repeating.

John Holland said...

I know what you mean. The thought of having to put all those songs back on my Ipod almost sent me into tears. I have had to do it a few times before, when I had around 1,000 songs on the Ipod and that was a chore.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/