Monday, July 30, 2007

Manic Monday #21: Miss


Today's word is Miss. I really hadn't planned to tie my Mainc Monay post into the past week, but when I saw the word I knew I had to.

Some random things I will Miss about my Dad:

Calling him on the phone and the first thing out of his mouth was always "What do you want?" It was a running joke, I would always answer with something like "a new car," "a million dollars," or something along those lines. He would always tell me it was in the mail to me.

Cooking. He loved to cook. He'd try to get all creative now and than, but most of us are fairly boring eaters, so he couldn't get too creative. We're a meats and potatoe type family.

Watching him in his workshop. He loved to build things. His workshop was a toolman's paradise, he had every type of tool in there that anyone would ever need. He was always happy when he could go in his shop and emerge hours later with a new bookshelf, table or whatever someone wanted.

Christmas morning. Both my parents were like little kids come Christmas morning. I would usually sleep over the night before and they would both wake me up with their excitement. Than after everyone got up we would all gather around the Christmas tree and he would hand out the presents. He would hand them out one at a time, even though we were all eager to get our presents and open them. Sometimes I would just watch as he handed them out, forgetting to open mine, he was having so much fun doing this.

Most of all, I just miss him.

10 comments:

Durward Discussion said...

This is my first visit to your blog. It is hard to let go of a parent when the time comes. There is always that little bit of self that remains a child who at least for a while feels abandoned. The happy memories mean they are always there as well.

John Holland said...

Jamie,
Thanks for stopping by. Hope you decide to come back again. You're right, it is hard, but I know it will get better. Thanks.

Travis Cody said...

I guess you're never prepared for it. It's good that you got to be there with him.

Welcome home.

Queen of the Universe said...

John, My dad died a year and a half ago and not a day goes by that I don't think of something I'd like to tell him or show him or do with him. And truthfully, thinking of him makes me happy. I can only wish the same for you.

Mary said...

Great post! I miss the smell of Old Spice and saw dust, and the smell of him lighting a match for a cigg, and I miss brining him a coppa joe in the afternoon while he worked in his shed.

Anonymous said...

As my parents get older...thoughts like these come creeping in...things I'll miss when they have moved on...Then I push the thoughts away as fast as I can...

An aside note, John...obviously I couldn't help but notice Bruce's BTR picture above the mirror as well as The Ramones...and if I'm not mistaken, the one to the right is The Smashing Pumpkins' "Adore"...I just told you about that album... All 3 have been major musical influences in my life...I smiled seeing the picture...

John Holland said...

Janey,
You're right about the Bruce and Ramones - it's actually the album itself. I found some frames that you can use for albums and put the actual album up. The other one is Little Steven's first album though. Still haven't had a chance to try the Pumpkins out yet.

NOLADawn said...

Great things to remember. It's good that you got to be there with him in the end.

Anonymous said...

wonderful post... very moving. My Dad is gone too and I miss him a lot.


I have a project that I am asking everyones help with. On my blog you will find a Post It note at the top that will explain everything. Thanks for checking it out, and my MM post too if you have time.

katherine. said...

I miss who my Dad was.

Nice post John.


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/