Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Katrina: Day Seven (Saturday)

Today I decided to sleep in. So of course I woke up at five a.m. To my surprise the fan was still running. The power invertor was still working. Actually the battery was still working, I figured it was going to die sometime during the night. And than it died. Still it lasted longer than I expected. And now it was cool outside, this time of the morning, so it didn't feel so bad.

I went back to sleep and woke up around eight. I got up and did my little washing by the sink. I wet a washcloth, soap my body and than run the washcloth over my body again and than dry off. That's my bath.

I decided to take all my can foods and put them out where I could see them. Why? I don't know, I just felt better doing it like this. That way I wouldn't be surprised when I was running low on food, I wouldn't miss something in the cabinets. I took a small bookcase I had in the hallway and put it on the back side of the bar and filled this up with all the food stuff I bought from Sams yesterday. Than I went through my cabinets and took what I thought I could use and put them in the bookcase. I found some stuff that I just had to throw away.

Next I decided to clean out my refrigerator. It was empty so I figured this was a good time to give it a good scrubbing. Afterwards I put some water and drinks in it to store.

I forgot about my upright freezer. It was full of food. So I had to take a garbage bag and go clean it up too. I emptied everything in the garbage bag. I took everything to the trash dumpster. While there I was talking to a few other people that were from the trailer park. One guy said that someone tried to break into his trailer last night, only to run away when someone shined a flashlight on them.

My neighbors on my left came home. They had went to Tennessee to ride out the storm. They actually weren't here to stay, they were just coming to pick up some things and check on their trailer. They had brought a truck load of water back with them and gave me a case of water.

My neighbor across the street, Chris, had stayed in his trailer during the hurricane. He said the wind literally lifted the trailer up and shook it. Luckily it didn't lift it too hight. During the night someone had stolen his battery out of his truck. He was fed up and wanted to leave. But he had no battery. He had no phone, the phones, the cell phones still weren't working. He wanted to call his brother to come get him. He thought a phone in Pearl River at this local store was working so I agreed to take him down there to see. We tried three different places before we found a phone that worked. But it only worked with a calling card, money just fell through it.

I brought him back home. He wasn't that happy, but there wasn't much more we could do.

I was pulling the tree that I pushed off my porch into the side of my yard to the front of the yard. This was hard work, the limbs all twisted together. My body is covered in scratches and cuts from the pine cones and needles. I got maybe a little over half of the tree moved to the front. What I'm going to do with it here I'm not sure, but I feel better getting it in the front by the side of the road.

Chris found a battery and hooked it up. I had about a gallon of gas in a gas tank that I used for my lawn mower and gave it to him. He had about half a tank.

I was exhausted. I sat in my chair on the porch and just did not want to move. I drank two bottles of water. Actually one bottle, the other bottle I filled from the melted ice in the cooler. I never imagned water could taste so good...I'm sure I'll be repeating that in the time to come.

It's dark outside now and I keep hearing cars go up and down the main street, up and down. Now I just heard what is either a car backfiring or a gunshot. To me it sounded like a gunshot, but I can't know for sure.

The breach in the leevee may be filled tommorrow. Hopefully it will be. That will make a big difference in New Orleans. I just saw an interview with the Mayor of New Orleans and he looked completely exhaused, mentally and physically. I'm going to watch a little more tv and than probablygo to bed.

No comments:


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 24 January 2007 This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact John @ JohnH985@gmail.com. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content. The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest. To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/